Julia Child is one of my culinary idols. She found pleasure in food, she believed in real ingredients and loving what you cooked. She worked hard and was a sincere, down-to-earth person. She died two days shy of her 92nd birthday on August 13th, 2004. Since we’re approaching the ten year mark, I wanted to share some of my favorite quotes and a few tidbits.
Julia Child Tidbits
- Julia Child was one of the world’s finest cooks and pushed her way into the culinary field despite the misogynistic chefs she encountered.
- Julia Child was a basketball player. Standing at 6’2, she towered over many of the males in the kitchens she worked in.
- Her show “The French Chef” was the first cooking show on PBS, it premiered in 1963.
- Julia has a rose named after her which she chose herself; it’s butter colored.
- She donated her Cambridge home to Smith College and her kitchen to the Smithsonian Institute.
- Julia and two other women chefs (Simone Beck and Loisette Bertholle) in Paris began teaching American women how to cook.
- Julia continued to work with Beck and Bertholle translating their French recipes into English, making sure they were detailed and interesting.
- Julia was a breast cancer survivor.
- She was nominated for eight Emmy awards and won three.
- Julia penned 17 books; another 2 were released posthumously.
- She also created over 10 television shows and/or specials for television including “The Way To Cook and Baking with Julia.” She was also the subject of the 2009 film “Julie and Julia.”
Julia Child Quotes
- “You are the boss of that dough.”
- “No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.”
- “Always remember, if you’re alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always pick it up. Who’s going to know?”
- “Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.”
- “A party without a cake is just a meeting.”
- “The only time to eat diet food is when you’re waiting for the steak to cook.”
- “Every woman should have a blowtorch.”
- “We should enjoy food and have fun. It is one of the simplest and nicest pleasures in life.”
- “People who love to eat are always the best people.”