Maya Angelou was an inspiration — and I admit I was shocked when I learned the news that she’d passed away earlier today. She was undoubtedly one of my favorite poets and authors.
Maya Angelou helped me realize the power of words, the strength and resilience of humans, and the beauty in life. One of my favorite moments is an evening I spent with her; although it was a talk she was giving to a room filled with hundreds of other people, Dr. Angelou had a way of making you feel like she was sharing her story (and herself) with you, and only you.
I could write a lot about her, but I think her words speak for itself. In honor of her life and her legacy, here are 10 quotes from Dr. Maya Angelou. You will be missed.
10 Quotes from Maya Angelou
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.
- The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.
- Be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.
- The desire to reach for the stars is ambitious. The desire to reach hearts is wise.
- I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.
- Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.
- I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way (s)he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
- My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
- If I am not good to myself, how can I expect anyone else to be good to me?
And an excerpt from one of my favorite poems by Dr. Angelou:
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
It’s in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
Photo credit Vogue.