After scouring the internet and through years of trying mug cakes that failed and tasted horrible, I decided to take it into my own hands. I’ve made a pretty basic recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth for when you don’t want to bake a whole batch of cupcakes.
This recipe is chocolaty and semi-moist. It’s also eggless, so you don’t have to worry about breaking an egg, and adding something like one tablespoon of beat egg, as many mug cake recipes I’ve seen and tried before. This recipe is open for personal tweaks, too! The cake is a bit on the “less sweet” side so if you like sweeter chocolate cake just increase the sugar by a teaspoon or so!
Fudgy Mug Cake Recipe
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (or a mixture of brown and white sugars)
- A dash of salt
- 1/4 cup milk (whole milk makes it the best but any will do)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (can use a light olive oil, too)
- 3 drops vanilla
- Add ins: Nutella, chocolate chips, peanut butter, toffee chips, nuts, etc.
- In a large mug (16 ounce or so is good) mix the first five ingredients together.
- Stir in the last ingredients.
- At this point you can sprinkle on some chocolate chips or add a dollop of Nutella to the middle. Whatever add ins you like!
- Microwave for 60-80 seconds. This will depend on your microwave’s power. I have a low powered microwave and mine goes for about 70 seconds.
- If you like fudgy, remember there aren’t any eggs to worry about, so cook as little or as long as you like. I recommend whipped cream on top and a big glass of milk to serve!
Photo credit Jeff Robbins.