- 3 avocados
- ¼ red onion, small diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- Juice of lime
- Small jalapeño, seeded and small diced (you may use a serrano pepper)
- ½ small tomato, seeded and diced, optional
- Splash of hot sauce, optional
- Small handful of roughly chopped cilantro
- Pit your avocados, run your knife through them to the skin, cutting strips then cross sections, use a spoon to scoop the pieces out.
- In a bowl put the diced avocado and squeeze the lime over it.
- Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño.
- Depending on how chunky you like your guacamole, use a fork to mush the mixture, breaking up the large pieces of avocado.
- If desired add tomato and/or hot sauce and cilantro. Allow to sit, covered with saran wrap, for a brief period (up to an hour) to let the flavor meld.
- Wear gloves while chopping the peppers and don’t touch your eyes!
- Place a fan behind you, blowing past you, while cutting both onion and pepper so they won’t make you cry!
The Culinary Corner is a weekend column that includes a simple recipe, a few tips, or admiration for a kitchen gadget.
Photo credit Stuart_Spivack on Flickr.