The holidays take a lot out of me. I am literally still dragging my ass from Thanksgiving and here comes Christmas in a week! This year, we only had four weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas and maybe that’s why I feel more drained than usual.
I generally have more gusto for gift giving than I do; I love picking out gifts for people and I like the warmth I feel in my limbs when they tell me how much they like what I got them.
This year, though, I am giving myself something in return: cocktails. So the warmth in my limbs will be partly from these recipes. Use these large batch holiday drink recipes to let your guests wind down with you and before long the stress of the holidays will slip away.
Classic Eggnog (serves ~20)
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ quarts whole milk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 9 ounces bourbon or rum (I prefer rum)
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 quart ice cream
- Beat yolks, gradually adding the sugar, until extremely pale yellow and fluffy.
- In a saucepan bring cream, milk, and nutmeg to a low simmer. Temper the egg mixture into the cream mixture, return to heat. (Cook to 160 degrees.)
- Stir in the alcohol after the mixture chills slightly.
- Put the mixture in a large punch bowl. To serve put a scoop of ice cream in a cup and serve the eggnog over the ice cream.
- Note: if you get pasteurized eggs and aren’t squeamish about eggs you can add the cream, milk, nutmeg and alcohol directly into the egg mixture without heating the mixture to 160 degrees.
Peppermint Patty (serves ~16)
- 4 ounces white crème de cacao
- 4 ounces white crème de menthe
- 4 ounces vanilla vodka
- 1 pint half-and-half
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Serve drink over ice and garnish with a mini-peppermint patty on the edge of the glass.
Spiked Gingerbread Shake (Serves ~20)
- 1 quart half-and-half or whole milk
- 16 ounces Kahlua (Cinnamon Spice Kahlua if you can find it)
- 16 ounces vodka (vanilla, cinnamon, pepper, or ginger are all good in this)
- 1 quart gingerbread ice cream
- Mix milk, Kahlua, and vodka together. Place in a punch bowl.
- Top the punch bowl with scoops of gingerbread ice cream(you may not need to use all the ice cream). Mix gently.
- Serve in small punch cups or martini glasses.
Holiday Cranberry Punch (Serves ~20)
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 8 ounces vodka
- 8 ounces amaretto
- 4 ounces cointreau
- 1 cup club soda
- ½ cup lime juice
- Frozen cranberries, to serve
- Chill all ingredients previously. Mix all ingredients together.
- Serve in a punch cup with frozen cranberries and ice.
Enjoy and have a safe holiday!