Mother’s Day is coming up next Sunday and a nice, laid-back lunch is a great way to show your mom you care. The simplicity of the menu will ensure your focus is on spending time with her instead of trying to complete everything in the kitchen! Feel free to tweak the menu to make it more personal. It’s always heartwarming to add a touch of your family background to your cooking.
- Greek Salad Deconstructed
- Cheddar-Garlic Biscuits
- Pan Seared Scallops (This is the only thing you need to actually cook right at lunch)
- Bay Breeze
Greek Salad Deconstructed Recipe
- 1 English cucumber, chopped into half-moons
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ pound feta, crumbled
- ½ pound cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 head romaine, roughly chopped
- On a large serving platter, arrange each ingredient in lines, neatly. Start in the middle with lettuce and build on each side.
- Should be served with tongs and your choice of dressing.
Garlic-Cheddar Biscuits Recipe
- 1 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt) (plus more to sprinkle)
- 1 dash of red pepper flakes
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (or any semi-hard cheese you prefer)
- ½ cup buttermilk (or mixture of sour cream and milk)
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled (plus more to brush)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Whisk the first five ingredients together. Slowly stir in the cheese.
- Stir butter with milk, add to dry mixture. Don’t over mix.
- Use an ice cream scoop to plop approximately 10-12 biscuits on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter as soon as they come out and sprinkle garlic salt on top.
- Can be made the night before, just warm them in a 325 degree over for a few minutes.
Pan Seared Scallops Recipe
- 1 pound of sea scallops, cleaned and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves
- In pan over medium-high heat, melt butter with olive oil. Add the garlic.
- When garlic begins to get fragrant and slightly golden, remove it.
- Add the patted dry scallops, make sure the pan is hot or it won’t form a nice sear.
- Cook scallops about 2 minutes on each side, ensuring a nice golden crust on each side.
Bay Breeze Recipe
Ingredients (per cup)
- 2 ounces light rum
- 4 ounces cranberry juice
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- In a chilled highball glass, filled with ice, add the rum first. Then layer (pour slowly) the pineapple juice, then finally layer cranberry. It should resemble a sunset.
The menu is fairly simple so you can focus on other things, like setting your table with her favorite flowers, laid with a cloth of her favorite color or other personal touches. Happy Mother’s Day!
Be sure to check out my previous Sunday Dinners columns. Have something you’d like to see featured here? Or a question? Leave a comment!