I’m almost always up for an easy DIY project that I can complete with items from the dollar store. It hits all of my needs: I feel crafty and accomplished once I’m done, and I didn’t have to spend a lot of money to do it.
This time, I decided to take on a do-it-yourself jewelry holder.
In theory, this shouldn’t work: it’s two plates, one candleholder, and some Gorilla Glue.
And yet, I thought the end result was pretty great!
I use it as a “catch-all” for the jewelry I take off when I get home from work, or the jewelry I decided against wearing but don’t have time to put back properly (which happens often). Then at the end of the week, I try to put these items back in their proper places to start all over again.
Here’s how to make your own.
3-Step Dollar Store DIY Jewelry Holder
What you’ll need:
- 1 large glass plate
- 1 smaller glass plate (they don’t need to be crystal!)
- 1 candle holders
- Gorilla Glue (alas, you cannot find this at the local Dollar Tree)
- After cleaning your plates and candle holders, spread some Gorilla Glue on the bottom of your candle holder and press it firmly down on the top of the large glass plate.
- Add glue to the top of your candle holder and place the smaller plate on top of the candle holder.
- Press down firmly, once, in the center of the top plate where the candle holder and plates line up. Then let dry overnight.
Tips for Success:
- It’s a good idea to clean your plates and candle holders before starting this project. I didn’t, and I learned the hard way that by not doing that, I could see some fingerprints on the underside of the glass that was glued to the candle holder.
- Don’t use too much Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue expands after you use it. If you use too much, it will bubble and look really messy.
- Feel free to experiment with different patterned plates, or even adding a bowl to the top to catch the small items. I wanted something neutral, but others have taken different approaches with success!