By Lyndsey Fought
Summer is the perfect time to indulge in some new, fruity alcoholic drinks! Since watermelon is essentially what summer picnics are made of, give these simple watermelon margaritas a shot.
- This recipe is based on 10-12 cups of watermelon blended, please adjust for smaller or larger batches.
- Additionally you can half the recipe and with your remaining watermelon: keep it on the rind and soak in a mixture of vodka, simple syrup, and grenadine. Soak for several hours. Finely chop some mint leaves, sprinkle it over the watermelon and serve.
Simple Watermelon Margaritas Recipe
Part 1: Prepping the watermelon
- 1 large watermelon
- Cut rind off melon, dice into 1 inch pieces.
- Chill half, freeze half.
- Blend in batches in a blender (easiest if you put half chilled, half frozen together in the blender). You’ll have about 10-15 cups of blended frosty liquid.
- If it doesn’t seem cold enough, add crushed ice or place in freezer, stirring every fifteen minutes until the mixture resembles a sort of slushie.
Part 2: Making the drinks
- 2 cups tequila
- 4 ounces simple syrup
- 4 ounces lime juice, fresh squeezed is best
- 4 ounces pomegranate or raspberry liqueur
- Grenadine, optional
- Take the watermelon mixture out of the freezer and gently stir in all above ingredients.
- Serve in highball glasses. Drizzle with grenadine and top with a lime wedge.
Photo credit Didriks.
I have too many interests and I get easily distracted, so I haven’t completed a single thing in my life. Yay, hyperboles! I have been to culinary school and I like baking cupcakes. I write the beginnings of too many novels. I am driven by ambition and delayed by perfectionism.
I would like to travel the world, learn from others, write some best sellers, and have a restaurant or bakery someday. I am a Slytherin. I like the tenth Doctor best (followed by ninth). I am too obsessed with Downton Abbey and the whole etiquette of that era. I never forget to be awesome!