By Lyndsey Fought
When I purchased my fondue set, I made sure I went with an electrical set, it ensures the temperature remains stable and also has the ability to deep fry. This way I have an even simpler means to create appetizers and other deep fried foods. This simple Oster fondue pot is cost efficient and easy to use. These are three simple appetizers I’ve created using the deep frying method with the fondue pot.
Lobster Chunks with Garlic Butter
- 8 ounces lobster, cut into square chunks
- 2 eggs, beaten well
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ cup flour
- 2 smashed cloves of garlic
- 4 ounces clarified butter
- Pat lobster dry.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, Cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper together.
- Roll lobster in flour mixture, dip in egg, then dip in flour again.
- With oil to the max line and the fondue pot at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, lower half the lobster chunks into the oil using a metal spider or spoon. Allow to fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Rest on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with garlic butter. Add two smashed gloves of garlic to four ounces clarified butter.
Wonton Pepperoni Rolls
- Package of wonton wrappers (square)
- 8 ounce package of pepperoni slices
- 12 ounce package of Sargento string cheese, unwrapped and each cut in half
- 1 egg, beaten
- Marinara sauce, to serve
- Roll string cheese half and 2-3 pieces of pepperoni in each wonton wrapper.
- Seal edges with beaten egg, press closed. (Here’s how to fold the wrapper.)
- With oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, fry each roll turn once with metal tongs. Fry 2-3 rolls at a time so the oil temperature won’t drop too much. Rest on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, serve warm and with marinara sauce.
- 1 pound cake, cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Glaze, to serve
- Deep fry pieces of the cake into very golden brown.
- Immediately roll into sugar, cinnamon, and ginger mixture.
- Serve warm with glaze. Mixture 1 tablespoon of heavy cream with 1.2 to 1 cup powdered sugar (add sugar until desired consistency is reached.)
Note: if making all three at once begin with the churro bites and end with the lobster bites. The lobster may change the taste of the oil to be somewhat fishy, so you don’t want that on your other food items! To keep churro bites and pepperoni rolls warm, place in oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Photo credit Aimee Custis.
I have too many interests and I get easily distracted, so I haven’t completed a single thing in my life. Yay, hyperboles! I have been to culinary school and I like baking cupcakes. I write the beginnings of too many novels. I am driven by ambition and delayed by perfectionism.
I would like to travel the world, learn from others, write some best sellers, and have a restaurant or bakery someday. I am a Slytherin. I like the tenth Doctor best (followed by ninth). I am too obsessed with Downton Abbey and the whole etiquette of that era. I never forget to be awesome!