By Lyndsey Fought
Here’s how to make a perfect Cobb salad!
Cobb Salad Ingredients
- Roast chicken breast
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Sharp cheddar or blue cheese crumbles
- Spring mix greens
- Fresh ranch dressing
- Optional, onions
- Chicken breast (with skin and bone)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, oil the breast skin liberally in a shallow baking pan, salt and pepper liberally as well.
- Bake until breast reads 165 degrees internally. Allow to rest.
- Remove skin and bone, discard.
- Dice the meat and set aside.
Hard Boiled Eggs
- (Can be done days before.) Set several eggs in sauce or pasta pot, cover with cold water. Turn heat on to high on stove.
- Once the water reaches a rolling boil, allow to boil for 2 minutes, then allow to set for 7 minutes.
- Run cold water into the vessel, until all water is cold, drain. Allow eggs to chill.
- Peel eggs and slice. Set aside.
- At a low heat allow bacon to crisp in a pan.
- Cool completely and crumple. Set Aside.
Tomatoes and Avocado
- Dice both, separately.
- Sprinkle lemon or lime juice over the avocado.
- If using onion, slice into thin strands.
- Set aside.
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 large clove garlic, finely diced and then smashed with fork
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce, optional
- Dash of vinegar, optional
- Dash of hot sauce , optional
- Mix all ingredients together. Add more mayonnaise or buttermilk based on your desired consistency. I like a thinner dressing.
- Chill well.
On a platter, lay a bed of the spring mix greens. In lines lay out the other items in the following order: cheese, tomatoes, eggs, chicken, avocado, bacon and if using onions. To serve: provide tongs and allow each person to serve their own, on each salad drizzle 1-2 tablespoon of the ranch.
For each person provide 1-2 cups of greens, 1 breast of chicken, an egg, 2 pieces of bacon, an ounce of cheese, and ¼ cup each of the other vegetables. This is kind of a free form salad, so no need to follow strict guidelines!
Photo credit David Huang.
I have too many interests and I get easily distracted, so I haven’t completed a single thing in my life. Yay, hyperboles! I have been to culinary school and I like baking cupcakes. I write the beginnings of too many novels. I am driven by ambition and delayed by perfectionism.
I would like to travel the world, learn from others, write some best sellers, and have a restaurant or bakery someday. I am a Slytherin. I like the tenth Doctor best (followed by ninth). I am too obsessed with Downton Abbey and the whole etiquette of that era. I never forget to be awesome!