Is it too early to start thinking about the winter holidays? I don’t think so! Every year, I find myself wracking my brain trying to come up with fun, unique, creative gifts for each of my family members. I look whats cool on so many sites and stores. It’s challenging, especially if I wait until the last minute in order to really begin my winter shopping.
Not this year. This year, I’m already scouring the internet, reading magazine articles, and yes, obsessively checking Pinterest to get some ideas. Use my Pinterest prowess to your advantage by checking out these 21 adorable DIY holiday gifts — for those of us who are crafty and those of us who are not.
The winter holidays are a notorious time to trade baked goods, whether in holiday cookie swaps or as gifts. While the stand-by of creating chocolate chip cookies is almost always welcome, here are a few festive treats if you’d like to try something different.
- No-Bake Christmas Funfetti Cake Batter Truffles: No-bake treats are all the rage and these delicious goodies only take about 30 minutes to make!
- Classic Gingerbread Cookies: It wouldn’t be the holiday season without gingerbread cookies. This gingerbread dough can be rolled thin for crisp cookies, made thicker for softer cookies, and the cookies will even stay good for 2 weeks.
- Fast and Sweet Quick Breads: These recipes are from right here at Positively Smitten! There are 5 yummy breads to choose from, including banana, pumpkin, apple cinnamon, ginger yam, and an updated fruit cake.
- Soft and Chewy Ginger Cookies: Ginger cookies combine ginger, molasses, and cinnamon to make a decadent winter treat.
- Chocolate Almond Biscotti: Biscotti is perfect for your friend who loves to drink a good tea. This will pair beautifully with a warm drink!
- Chocomint Blossoms: Peanut butter blossoms (you know, the peanut butter cookies with a milk chocolate Hershey Kiss in them) get a makeover with this recipe! Each chocolate cookie is topped with a peppermint swirl Hershey Kiss.
- Chocolate Peppermint Bark: Your chocolate-loving friends will love this Chocolate Peppermint Bark sprinkled with M&Ms.
For the friend who is obsessed with the latest makeup trends, try a homemade version of their beauty favorite for a one-of-a-kind gift.
- Cookie Dough Sugar Scrub: Combining brown sugar with coconut oil and vanilla, this body scrub smells good enough to eat. (But please don’t.)
- Lavender Bath and Foot Soak: After a busy, stressful holiday season, your loved ones will enjoy relaxing with this soothing lavender bath soak.
- DIY Oatmeal Exfoliating Bar: The winter months can be harsh on our skin, but these exfoliating bars of soap will leave your friends thankful for their gift (and for their silk smooth skin).
- Lotion Bars: You can slip these lotion bars into holiday molds.
- Organic Bath Tea and Salt Soak: This soak will make your friend feel like she’s just visited a luxury spa.
- Tinted Lip Balm in a Locket: It’s two gifts in one — an adorable locket and some easy access lip balm. What’s not to love?
- Homemade Lotion: It’s light but does an excellent job of moisturizing. You can even use herbal tea in this recipe!
Crafting for the non-crafty
We’re not all Martha Stewart, but that doesn’t mean we can’t get creative with the gifts we give. These ideas mostly require assembling a few things to create a fun, unique holiday gift!
- Hot Chocolate Gift Basket: I love this because it’s easy to do and incredibly affordable. If someone you know loves hot chocolate, this is a great (and cute) gift!
- Oreo Elf Feet: Everyone loves Oreos! Pick up a package of holiday Oreos (there’s regular flavored red Oreos, mint-flavored Oreos, or the good ol’ original kind will work just fine!) and use this printable to create adorable “elf feet.”
- Rein-beers: Last year, I knew my Secret Santa loved beer, so I got her a six-pack and decorated them like reindeers. Thus: rein-beers… get it? Okay, so, silly pun, but cute nonetheless.
- Candy Sleighs: I got one of these from a co-worker last Christmas and fell in love. It’s a creative idea and gives an excuse to chomp on some candy while you make it.
- For Your Mistle Toes Nail Polish/Lotion Kit: Have a friend who loves nail polish? Great, choose a color, pick up a travel size lotion, stick them in a clear plastic bag, add the printable and you’re done! Perfect stocking stuffer or Secret Santa gift.
- Brownie Mix In a Jar: It’s a baked good without the baking! At least on your end. Stick the pre-measured ingredients for your favorite treat in a mason jar, which you can even find at your local bargain store (including the Dollar Tree), and voila.
- Holiday Gift Basket: If you’d rather not mess with getting crafty at all, why not put together a gift basket? There are 25 different suggestions at the source, from breakfast baskets to wine and dine treats.
What holiday gifts are you planning to give to your loved ones this year?