By Samantha Sheffler and Annie Schneider
This is an easy recipe that works as a meal for one or many. It is simple, yet elegant, and requires minimal effort (it takes about 15 minutes with preparation). It can be used for any occasion. We both made this for our mothers on Mother’s Day; we wanted to make something that was tasty and healthy, with a lot of taste but not a lot of calories. If you are new to the kitchen and looking for an easy recipe to try, look no further!
This recipe makes 1 serving (or a large salad), but could easily be 2 side salads with the addition of another sunny side up egg.
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of sundried tomatoes (in a jar with oil is easier to use)
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons of slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons of shaved parmesan
- 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or to taste
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Cutting board
- Chef knife
- Medium or Large Saute pan (we used a Teflon pan)
- Measuring spoons
- Cut off the end of the non-floret side of the asparagus, and then cut the asparagus in half.
- Heat the pan at medium-high heat.
- Once pan is hot, coat pan olive oil.
- Add asparagus, slivered almonds, and pine nuts.
- Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Mix all ingredients with spatula.
- Cook until tender. For a softer asparagus, cook a bit longer.
- After a minute or two, add sundried tomatoes.
- After tomatoes are heated, remove from pan.
- Squeeze juice from half a lemon over.
- Add shaved parmasean.
- Turn stove to low heat.
- In the same pan, cook an egg, sunny side up.
- Add egg atop asparagus.
The Finished Product
About Samantha and Annie:
Samantha Sheffler is a 25-year-old who loves hospitality and good food. She has a healthy appetite for all things happy.
Annie Schneider is a 25-year-old currently residing in Pittsburgh, PA. She spends most of her time nannying, practicing yoga, and catering to her three dogs.