Even though I made a resolution to embrace 25, with each Facebook update alerting me that another person I know has turned 25, I can’t help but think they’ve gone over to The Dark Side and it’s only a matter of time until I do, too.
I’m consistently reminding myself that I don’t need to have it all figured out by 25. That the world, I swear, will keep turning, if my life isn’t exactly how I imagined it would be by now. That it’s just a number, and we’re never fully content with how everything is, but that the best we can do is to be generally happy from day to day and go from there.
So here’s my twist on 25 things every 25-year-old should know.And they all start with “It’s okay if…”
- You prefer sugary cereals like Cap’n Crunch, Cocoa Pebbles, and Lucky Charms to “grown-up” cereals like Raisin Bran.
- You occasionally sleep with a teddy bear.
- Or in footed pajamas.
- Doing stuff around the house feels like “chores” – except worse because you don’t get an allowance or even praise for doing them.
- Sometimes you have to make the “L” with your hands to know left from right.
- The most sophisticated wine you drink comes in a box. And costs $13.
- You still have no idea what you want to “do” with your life. (No one does.)
- Your library collection is comprised mostly of young adult literature and books you loved when you were in middle school.
- The idea of having a baby or getting married is completely and utterly terrifying.
- Loving your body sounds way easier to achieve than it actually is.
- Celebrity gossip is more appealing than reading the New York Times, while cartoons and reality television are more interesting than the evening news.
- Your music collection includes Justin Bieber.
- Some days, just getting out of bed is an accomplishment.
- Romantic relationships are awkward, ever-changing, or even not-quite-existent. Whatever, we can’t all be Cory and Topanga.
- Eyeliner, mascara, blush, and foundation are not exactly your cup of tea. (It doesn’t have to be, not now, or ever.) Or maybe you’re just discovering them, while everyone else was experimenting with it in middle school.
- And you still don’t get that whole “fashion” thing or understand “walking in heels.” No big deal.
- If it’s harder to break that habit of saying “I’m sorry” before everything than you thought it’d be. (“I’m sorry, this might be a bad idea, but…” Sound familiar?)
- You haven’t nailed down a sleep schedule. The weekends are for staying up late and sleeping in, right?
- Getting a little extra money from mom/dad/grandma/grandpa/whoever is secretly helpful, even if you may want to pretend you don’t need it.
- Five-year plans aren’t in your repertoire now. Or ever.
- You eat ice cream for dinner.
- Most days, you still feel pretty unsure of yourself, but hey, at least you’re trying.
- You’re scared of the dark. Or heights. Or spiders. Or failure. Or being alone.
- Despite those fears, you’re not quite sure you want to tackle them. Maybe next year. (Or maybe never.)
- You don’t have it all together. Everyone out there who looks like they do? They’re totally just as confused as you are. So just pour yourself a bowl of Cap’n Crunch, turn on “Keeping Up With the Kardashians,” and try to make the most of it. You’re only 25 once.
25 to Life is an ongoing column that chronicles Crystal’s life as she prepares to turn 25. See her previous column, about her fear of getting older, here.